The Kananaskis Improvement District (KID) Emergency Services carries out fire inspections to ensure compliance with the Alberta Fire Code.
The list of items below, prepared by the City of Red Deer’s Emergency Services Department, identifies common deficiencies that, when eliminated, make for a safer working and living environment.
1. Portable fire extinguishers are required to be re-certified yearly by a qualified technician and should be inspected monthly by one of the business representative. Any missing, stolen or discharge extinguishers shall be replaced immediately.
Ten Common Deficiencies Found During Fire Inspections
2. Emergency lights are to be maintained, tested monthly to make sure they are functional and load tested yearly for at least 30 minutes.
3. All EXIT signs are required to be properly lighted at all time and all burnt out bulb shall be replaced.
4. Fire alarm and sprinkler system shall be inspected and tested yearly by an qualified technician and the report shall be forwarded to the Fire Department.
5. All holes in the Fire separation (wall, ceiling and floor) shall be repaired with appropriate fire retardant material.
6. Hallways, stairwells and doors way that are part of an emergency exit, shall remain free of any obstruction. No items will be permitted to be stored in those areas.
7. Fire place and chimneys are required to be inspected, cleaned and certified yearly. The report shall be forwarded to the Fire Department.
8. Commercial cooking hood range are required to be inspected, cleaned and certified every 6 months and the report shall be forwarded to the Fire Department.
9. All doors part of an emergency EXIT or a fire separation wall are required to be fully operational and with out any damages. Doors should open freely without using excessive force and they shall also close freely without leaving any gaps for fire or smoke to get through. All damage doors or hardware shall be replaced immediately.
10. Portable Fire extinguishers and emergency pull station shall be visible and easy to reach at all time. No storage is allowed that could prevent someone from activating the alarm or to use the extinguisher.