Training and supervision of the Paid on-Call Firefighter staff represents a significant portion of work in this position. While on duty, the Lieutenant is expected to deliver instruction for regularly scheduled training sessions, lead on-shift training with staff, provide appropriate supervision and oversight of members under their command and ensure the safety and well-being of all members.
Additionally, the Fire Officer provides after-hours emergency call answering and dispatching for Alberta Parks Kananaskis Dispatch. Duties include emergency call answering/processing, notification to response agencies (RCMP, EMS, Conservation Officers, Public Safety Specialists, etc.), coordination and dispatching of resources, radio communications, reporting and documentation. Dispatch specific training will be provided as part of on-boarding.
View the position posting HERE
- High School Diploma
- Accredited NFPA 1001 Level 2
- Accredited NFPA 1002 Driver & Pump Operator
- Accredited NFPA 1041 Instructor Level 1
- Accredited NFPA 1021 Fire Officer Level I
- Valid Class 3(or higher) Valid Operator’s License with air brake endorsement, less than 6 demerits
- Current Advanced First Aid or completion of an Emergency Medical Responder program within the past 5 years, current CPR-BLS/HCP.
- 5 years experience with a recognized municipal fire service
Preference will be given to applicants that have completed NFPA 1002 Aerial Operator, NFPA 1051 Wildland Firefighter, NFPA 1041 Instructor Level 2, NFPA 1021 Fire Officer Level 2 or higher, Blue Card Command, ICS200 or higher, and have a demonstrated knowledge of the Kananaskis Improvement District. Experience with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Access are considered assets.
Applicants can download the Candidate Physical Assessment Guide to learn more.
Candidates are required to complete and submit the Medical Self Assessment Form as part of their application to assess their suitability to participate in the physical assessment.
Please note the important dates included with the steps below:
- Application Intake Closes
- February 17th 2020
- Interview/Training Evaluation/Command Scenario/Physical Assessment
- March 2nd-4th 2020 (specific date to be confirmed with candidates)
- Offer and request for records (criminal records check, drivers abstract and doctors medical clearance)
- March 10th 2020
- Initial Orientation
- March 26th or 27th 2020 (specific date to be confirmed with candidates)
- Begin working operational shifts
- May 2020
Application deadline: February 17th 2020
Documents must be submitted in PDF format and as a single file for each of the main bullets listed below:
- Cover Letter and Resume
- Drivers License
- Medical Training Certification
- Certifications, include all applicable (the following are the minimum certifications that are required to be included)
- Copy of High school diploma
- Copy of accredited NFPA 1001 Level 2 certificate
- Copy of accredited NFPA 1002 Driver & Pumper certificates
- Copy of accredited NFPA 1021 Fire Officer certificate
- Copy of accredited NFPA 1041 Instructor certificate
- Copy of ICS100 certificate
- Medical Self Assessment Form
The Casual Fire Officer position is recruited and hired as needed. The top of this page will indicate if a posting for the position is currently open and applications are being accepted. Outside of open posting, applications for the position are not accepted.