FRAP - Firefighting Residency Apprenticeship Program
Kananaskis Emergency Services is offering an exciting opportunity for highly motivated individuals looking to enter the fire service, obtain internationally accredited certification and obtain valuable experience working for a municipal fire department. Standard fire training programs can cost thousands of dollars to complete; and while they provide certification, do not provide on-the-job experience which is highly valuable in the industry when applying to departments. The Firefighter Residency Apprenticeship congruently provides in-class and practical training coupled with on-the-job training both working in the fire station environment and on emergency scenes. Not only is all of the training provided at NO COST, you will be compensated for your time during training, on calls and during duty shifts.
Training in the heart of the Rockies, participants of FRAP will work through an 18-month program to obtain:
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level I & II*
- Incident Command System ICS100 & ICS200
- Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A)
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Awareness & Operations*
- NFPA 1002 Driver Operator & Pumper*
- NFPA 1006 Vehicle Rescue Level I*
- 80-Hour First Medical Responder (FMR) training
*Programs are IFSAC & ProBOARD accredited through the Alberta Office of the Fire Commissioner.
Firefighters train an average of 30 hours per month, totaling over 500 hours by the time the program is complete.
In addition, once fundamental training is complete, Firefighters will work a minimum of 10 hours of duty in station per month to further strengthen their knowledge, skills and experience with day to day fire station operations.
As a requirement for acceptance into the program, applications will be forwarded to our program partners at the Delta Kananaskis Lodge to obtain employment and residency within Kananaskis for the duration of the program. (Employment & residency are a mandatory requirement for participation in the program). When completing your application, simply indicate on page 2 which areas within the hotel are of interest to you or that you may have experience or skills in. As part of your employment with Delta, you’ll be partnered up in staff accommodations with another member of our program. You will also have access to the great programs and amenities available to Delta staff including: discounts at Marriot properties and discounts on experience packages like sky diving, skiing, rafting, caving and more!
Take the next step to start your fire service career!
Fill out our application form and return it by January 31st 2018
FRAP Application Form
All applicants will be required to attend a Meet & Greet Information Session on Thursday February 1st at the Delta Kananaskis Lodge.
- Additional information regarding the location will be sent out with the confirmation your applications was received.
- The session will provide more information regarding the program with presentation from Kananaskis Emergency Services and the Delta Kananaskis Lodge. You will receive a tour of the facility including the staff accommodations. Following this, there will be an opportunity to speak and ask questions to representatives from Kananaskis Emergency Services, department leads from the Delta Kananaskis Lodge who are looking to take on FRAP members and current Firefighter Apprentices about their experience in the program. Refreshments will be provided by the Delta Kananaskis Lodge.
Successful applicants will be contacted for our selection process.
Please note the important dates included with the steps below:
- An interviews with Kananaskis Emergency Services and an interview with the Delta Kananaskis Lodge
- February 14th & 15th
- Offer and request for records (criminal records check, drivers abstract and doctors medical)
- February 17th
- Move into staff residence
- March 2nd - 4th
- Orientation and Physical Assessment with Kananaskis Emergency Services
- March 5th
- Orientation with Delta Kananaskis Lodge
- March 12th
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Alberta Driver’s License
- Reliable Vehicle
- Willing to move to Kananaskis
- Commitment to the program
For further questions please contact Gary Robertson at email@example.com or 403-591-7755.